Dialogue with Jonathan Baskin on global brand challenges
Here is a Boxing Day interview with Jonathan Salem Baskin, global brand strategist and reputed author, blogger and speaker on branding. Specifically, Jonathan is author of “Branding Only Works on Cattle” (2009) as well as “Bright Lights & Dim Bulb” (updated for 2010) and “Histories of Social Media” (Oct 2010 pre-release); and he has a successful column on AdAge.
In this interview, we take a retrospective look at 2010 and share ideas and opinions on what brands need to do, going forward. Jonathan shares his point of view on branding differences in North America and Europe, with how communities can be created differently. We also take a look at social behavior and social media marketing from a historical perspective (i.e. crowd sourcing in the French Revolution, two-way conversations between brands and consumers that existed long ago…). Please drop by and share your comments.
A few sites that JSB enjoys:
- The Society for New Communication
- Boing Boing (for new media/technology)
- New Scientist
To read or follow Jonathan, here are the best locations:
- Jonathan Salem Baskin homepage
- Dim Bulb Blog (the award winning blog)
- On Twitter: @jonathansalem
- To buy “Branding only works on cattle” on Amazon
- Histories of Social Media, a site where Jonathan writes frequently about ‘on this day in histories of social media…’
- To buy the book “Histories of Social Media” on Amazon
- Quiet Storm (or Quiet-Storm.net) — B2B marketing services (with money back guarantee!)
Meanwhile, you can find my other interviews on the Minter Dialogue Show in this podcast tab, on Megaphone or via Apple Podcasts. If you like the show, please go over to rate this podcast via RateThisPodcast!
This interview is really super interesting to listen to.
It's making a lot of sense for the upcoming year and how to "educate" companies on what is the marketing for a brand is really about.
Thank you Minter for sharing with us this high quality interview !