NEWS! Heartificial Empathy, Putting Heart into Business and Artificial Intelligence, won the Book Excellence Award 2019 in the Technology category. See here for more about the award.
It was also selected early this year as a finalist for the Business Book Awards 2019.
Heartificial Empathy is available on Amazon in three formats:
- Paperback (RRP USD $15 / £11.45)
- Kindle version (RRP USD $7.99 / £6.50)
- NEW! Audible / audiobook version (USD $14.95 / £13.79)
[Scroll all the way down to view the exclusive content that is cited in the audiobook.]
Heartificial Empathy looks at why and how brands should learn to flex their empathic muscle, as well as how to encode empathy in Artificial Intelligence.
This book is for any business executive looking to accelerate his/her digital transformation, upgrade customer centricity, improve customer service, drive innovation or hike employee engagement. It explores specific business cases and the prominent ethical questions, all the while providing practical advice and concrete tips. It also contains loads of extra resources.
Thanks for your interest and thanks for spreading the word! You can follow @Heartificial on Twitter for regular tweets about empathy.
Book Excellence Award winner
Engagements around Heartificial Empathy
- Marketing Tech Summit November 21 (London)
- Fable 2019 September 19th (London)
- CogX 2019 June 11th (London)
- Pega World 2019 June 4th (Las Vegas, NV)
- Real Time Club May 28th (London)
- Queens Club May 8th (London)
- Sanofi LATAM April 9th
- Twitch TV March 18th (SF, CA)
- SXSW 2019 March 10th (Austin, TX)
- Burberry’s UK March 5th (Leeds UK)
Praise for Heartificial Empathy:
“Minter Dial is onto something. Everyone talks about the need for empathy in business and society, but no one describes what that would look like. Dial takes a great first stab at envisioning a future in which deliberate empathy drives both business success and greater societal cohesion. A must-read for forward-thinking leaders everywhere.”
— MARTY NEUMEIER, author of Metaskills and The Brand Gap
“Empathy will be the key competitive advantage of the 21st Century. Dial captures the fullest essence of that one special quality that makes us truly human. Dial skillfully illustrates how we can industrialise meaningful solutions for human happiness.”
— NELL WATSON, AI & Robotics Faculty Singularity University, Co-Founder EthicsNet
“An enthralling and sweeping journey along the trajectory of empathy for leadership, society and the sciences.”
— MARIE R. MIYASHIRO, author, The Empathy Factor
“In Heartificial Empathy, Minter Dial masterfully makes the case for why empathy is not only teachable but a requirement for success in business and in life. By dissecting the elements of empathy, Dial has created the recipe book of how to embed and increase empathy in yourself, your organization, and in our machines.”
— CHARLENE LI, bestselling author and founder of Altimeter, a Prophet company
“In a tech-driven society, empathy is an increasingly rare and valuable skill. Minter Dial’s new book is a thought-provoking exploration of the role of empathy in the modern workplace, and how to nurture and sustain it.”
— DORIE CLARK, adjunct professor at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and author, Entrepreneurial You and Stand Out
— JEREMY WAITE, chief strategy officer, IBM Watson customer engagement
“Minter Dial makes an urgent and compelling case for the need for that most human of traits – empathy – to be prioritised.”
— ROB MCCARGOW, director of Artificial Intelligence, PwC UK
“Up until now, we’ve seen technologists focus on the raw mechanics of what artificial intelligence can do. But what if we applied that computing expertise to the most powerful lever of customer loyalty and long-term profitability? Putting more empathy into our teams, tools, and processes can only result in vastly better experiences.”
— SCOTT MONTY, principal & founder, Scott Monty Strategies
“A must-read for business leaders and those in charge of AI initiatives.”
— JASON MILLER, Brand Marketing Lead, EMEA – Microsoft Advertising / Bing
“Just as AI is becoming smart enough to become our virtual friend, we are starting to question whether technology is even on our side. Computers now have access to all the data required to make important decisions on our behalf but they simply don’t care how those decisions affect our lives.
Artificial empathy would allow a machine to understand not just the data but what’s going on in our minds. An autonomous ‘bot’ would have the ability to predict and interpret the joy or pain we might be experiencing. Given this insight, a device could relate to us in a much more caring and considerate way – like a brother or mother. Is this what we want?
In his spellbinding new book, Minter Dial shares a treasure trove of ideas and academic insights that explain empathy and its impact on people and businesses. He explores machine-based empathy. How might that work? Could ethical frameworks be hardcoded into transactional, digital systems? What are the challenges, the opportunities and the limitations?
This beautifully crafted work will open your mind to possibilities. You will learn about the future and the world that awaits. Armed with this knowledge, you stand a much better chance of shaping it to your advantage.”
— ROD BANNER, entrepreneur, investor, passionate founder of joytech.org
Heartificial Empathy – Press & Podcasts
- Analytics Insight – Artificial Empathy or Coding Empathy into Machines by Upasana Bharadwaj (Jan 2020)
- Forbes – Empathy in Artificial Intelligence by Jun Wu (Dec 2019)
- Raconteur – AI and trust: Why we shouldn’t blindly follow tech by Oliver Pickup (Dec 2019)
- You, Me, Empathy with Non Wels – Putting Heart into Business (Dec 2019)
- The Digital Transformation Podcast with Rob Llewellyn – Artificial Intelligence and the Heartfelt Business of Empathy (Nov 2019)
- The Growth Hacking Show with Ed Rich – Heartificial Empathy (Oct 2019)
- INSEAD Knowledge – Five Everyday Exercises for Building Empathy (July 2019)
- Target Internet with Ciaran Rogers and Daniel Rowles – The Heartificial Empathy Interview (July 2019)
- Exclusive interview on Speaking.com: Empathy, AI & Leadership (June 2019)
- L’idée qui tue par Nicolas Bordas (en français) – Et si l’intelligence artificielle (nous) apprenait l’empathie 🇫🇷 (June 2019)
- Ideapod – To develop empathy – A most untapped lever of productivity and core to good conversation (June 2019)
- Practical Futurist with Andrew Grill – The future of AI and ethics (June 2019)
- Yak About Today with David Yakir – What is Empathy and Where has it Gone? (May 2019)
- FutureTech Podcast with Rich Jacobs – How Good Business Practice Can Make Us Better People—Minter Dial—Author of Heartificial Empathy: Putting Heart into Business and Artificial Intelligence (May 2019)
- Superception with Christophe Lachnitt – Podcast episode 47 with Minter Dial, Author of Heartificial Empathy (May 2019)
- Marketing Today with Alan Hart – Author Minter Dial Always Seeking To ‘Elevate The Debate’
- Podcast with Mitch Joel on Six Pixels of Separation – Minter Dial and Heartificial Empathy (April 2019)
- On the Culture of Empathy with Edwin Rutsch (April 2019)
- Empathy and the future of AI with Patrick Mork on MadMork (April 1 2019)
- The Pull Agency Book review by Chris Bullick (March 2019)
- Total Business Magazine: The Ethical Entrepreneur – Top Ethical Tips for Starting an Ethical Business (Mar 2019)
- ByteStart – How Improving Empathy Can Help Grow Your Business (Mar 2019)
- MarketingProfs Podcast with Kerry Gorgone – How to put heart into your business (Mar 2019)
- Heartificial Empathy is the New Black with Kenneth Kinney on The Shark’s Perspective (Mar 2019)
- SXSW2019 – How to Put Empathy into Business and AI, at the Austin Convention Center (March 10, 2019)
- The Disruption of Empathy in Disruption Magazine Winter 2019 (pp 46-49).
- Heartificial Empathy book review by Simon Cocking @ Irish Tech News
- Speed Summary – Heartificial Empathy on Brand Genetics (Feb 2019)
- The Marketplace Podcast with Priest Willis (Feb 23 2019)
- RARE podcast interview with Adrian Swinscoe: What more empathy in business and artificial intelligence (AI) will look like (Feb 6 2019)
- Interview with Adam Brown on SocialPros podcast: How personal tragedy illuminated business empathy (Feb 6 2019)
- Podcast with BD Dalton at Grow, Sell & Retire (via Spreaker)
Upcoming interviews: Alumnet with Chris Stebbings, with Non Wels on About You, Me, Empathy, McKinsey Podcast, CXO Transform with Rob Llewellyn.
Photos with Heartificial Empathy
For the Audiobook
The audiobook was released early April.
For those of you coming to this page from the audiobook, you’ll find all the figures, addenda and extra resources — that feature in Heartificial Empathy — below. These are all password protected as they’re exclusive to the audiobook listeners.